Issue

Xen failed to start

posted in Hypervisor
Thursday, May 01 2014, 04:59 AM
Hi,
I am trying to run Xen hypervisor as a nested vm, inside vmware workstation 10.
I'm using Ubuntu as the guest machine and after I've installed the Xen hypervisor, changed the grub to run Xen and rebooted, the machine freezed during the booting.
I've tried many things like changing the hap parameter and the nestedhvm, but nothing worked for me.
I tried to debug the xen booting and I've got this error message before in freezed:

(XEN) domain.c:632:d0 Attempt to change CR4 flags 00002620 -> 00002660

I get the same result with ubuntu 12.04 and Xen 4.1, as well as with Ubuntu 14.04 and Xen 4.4.
I would be happy to share logs or whatever needed.

Thanks,
Guy.
Responses (8)
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, May 01 2014, 11:57 AM - #permalink
    Hmmm. Frankly that's something I've never done.

Apparently, it is possible with VMware ESXi:

And I did find this step-by-step for running XenServer in VMware Workstation:

Now, XenServer is not the same thing as "Xen Project," but it does use the Xen Project Hypervisor in its solution. As such, if XenServer works, I'd expect the Xen Project Hypervisor to work once the proper config bits are in place.

Since it is not the type of thing that most people here test regularly AFAIK, I'd suggest reviewing those links first to see if they solve anything. If not, let us know.

Russ
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, May 01 2014, 08:43 PM - #permalink
    Actually It did work for me with XenServer.
    I am only encountering this problem when I am trying to install it on any Ubuntu distribution.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, May 01 2014, 09:23 PM - #permalink
    Guy,

Interesting. The hypervisor works on Ubuntu, so it is likely some setting which needs to facilitate the nested experience.

Does this article give any insight?

It sounds pretty similar to what you are trying to achieve, unless I missed something.

Russ
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, May 01 2014, 10:03 PM - #permalink
    Actually this is pretty much what I did. Seems more like a hardware incompatibility which is strange, because I have VT-x/EPT enabled hardware, which should work with this case
    My current system runs i7-3537U CPU which fully support virtualization, so on paper I shouldn't have any problems running this kind of setup.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, May 01 2014, 11:18 PM - #permalink
    Guy,

Under the circumstances, then, I suggest capturing the logs you have and taking the question over to the xen-users mailing list. The folks over there may be able to help trace through the logs and help you figure out just what happened. As you said that XenServer works under that setup, I would guess it might be some form of configuration issue.

The information about using the list can be found here:

Post the specifics about the software and the hardware, and include the logs you have. The list gets a much broader set of eyes and is generally a better place for debugging. And you don't have to actually join the list to ask the question; just ask away and wait for replies.

If you get it resolved over there, consider posting a solution here for the benefit of others who might follow with a similar problem.

Thanks,

Russ
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, May 01 2014, 11:34 PM - #permalink
    Ok, Sound like a right approach.
    Thank you very much Russ.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Friday, May 02 2014, 12:12 AM - #permalink
    Nevermind, Got it working using Virtualbox instead of vmware workstation.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Friday, May 02 2014, 06:40 PM - #permalink
    AFAIK, Virtual box does not support nested VT. So you will be stuck with PV domains. You should be able to run Xen + Ubuntu 12.04 Dom0 on Workstation 10.x. Please post with logs on xen-users and I will help you out.
    The reply is currently minimized Show