Issue
Alexander
Alexander
Offline
Hello gentlemen.

I've got a serious problem. I'm desperate to say more precisely. My hosts are running XCP 1.6.After upgrade from 1.1 some of my VMs still running MS Server 2003 started to lock up in the state of so called gray screen of death. After a bit of googling i discovered that it's a bug and Citrix released hotfixes against this disease. So i installed them. Everything went fine until recently, when everyday my hosts started to send emails stating that license is going to expire. Here's an example:

Field Value
----- -----
Name: LICENSE_EXPIRES_SOON
Priority: 10
Class: Host
Object UUID: 40aa0b58-d489-4009-a55a-95c5b151c0ce
Timestamp: 20130821T00:02:02Z
Message UUID: 6e7ede5b-74a0-90e6-3543-3a59763c278f
Pool name: zen
Body: Your license will expire in 10 days

I suppose it's because of an updated xapi from Citrix. My question is - what can i do with this, because i suppose when the counter reaches zero my servers could just lock up as with ordinary Xenserver. And what's worse, i'm not even in the office to physically reach the servers, have network access though. Please, i'd appreciate any help.
Responses (8)
  • Accepted Answer

Friday, August 23 2013, 04:10 AM - #permalink
    Given the urgency of your situation, I suggest you take this question to xen-api@lists.xenproject.org . There are many more people with appropriate expertise on that list. Note that you do not have to join the list to ask your question; just send an email and wait for responses,
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Alexander
    Alexander
    Offline
    Friday, August 23 2013, 07:37 AM - #permalink
    Oh. Thank you, i'll try that. I tried to join that list but still haven't got any confirmation. Will try to just send an email.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Pavel
    Pavel
    Offline
    Thursday, July 03 2014, 09:42 AM - #permalink
    Again, the same problem. Please help. Thank you!
    (sent question xen-api@lists.xenproject.org, yet there is no answer.)
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, July 03 2014, 12:44 PM - #permalink
    I am trying to find someone who might be able to address this, but in the mean time, I suggest asking here:

XCP now falls under the auspices of XenServer.org (since it was non-branded XenServer to begin with, and XenServer is now Open Source under Citrix). However, since you are experiencing some form of Citrix licensing issue, we need to locate someone with that knowledge, so a Citrix forum seems appropriate.

This is a long holiday weekend for Citrix US, so I'm not sure how quickly you will get a reply, but using the forum above might get the ball rolling.

Russ
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Pavel
    Pavel
    Offline
    Thursday, July 03 2014, 01:00 PM - #permalink
    Thank you very much!
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Tim Mackey
    Tim Mackey
    Offline
    Thursday, July 03 2014, 01:22 PM - #permalink
    Unfortunately this is somewhat expected, and there may be more artifacts from applying a Citrix hotfix to a pure XCP than just licensing issues. Citrix hotfixes are only ever tested with a Citrix release, unless specifically designated as applying to XCP (e.g. security hotfixes).

With that bad news out of the way, lets see if I can't get you whole again. The first thing to understand about Citrix XenServer is that you have the potential of many different licenses. If you're only using the "Free" features of XenServer, then I can try and generate a 12 month license for you. If you're using any of the paid features of XenServer, then things get more difficult. Can you check your messages log file and see if there is any mention of "grace period" or "v6d"? If you've got those, I'd need to understand the feature name. If you don't see anything which looks like that, then the free license might work. The good news being that if the free license does work you'll be able to get this solved remotely.

BTW, what's the expiration date?

-tim
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Pavel
    Pavel
    Offline
    Thursday, July 03 2014, 01:58 PM - #permalink
    Hello! I so understand licenses free. Before the termination there were 27 days.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Pavel
    Pavel
    Offline
    Wednesday, July 23 2014, 05:52 AM - #permalink
    Good afternoon! It didn't turn out to win against this problem, xen writes "Your license will expire in 7 days". I tried:
    1 .To specify the free license, at addition of a key writes "There was a problem with the license daemon (v6d). Is it running?".
    2 .To start a script for the translation of the termination of the license, by state.db editing. It is impossible. Help, please.
    The reply is currently minimized Show