Task

Open Xen Manager and XenCenter server connection

posted in New Users
Tuesday, June 24 2014, 07:02 AM
Offline
So, I've got server set up and running the Xen hypervisor version 4.1 with Debian Wheezy (7.5.0) as the host OS, along with xcp-xapi and all relevant services are running correctly. Problems arise when I try to connect to the server through Open Xen Manager or XenCenter.

Open Xen Manager gives me this error message:
[Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

XenCenter gives me this error message:
Unable to connecto server '192.168.178.21'
The connection was refused.

Check that XenServer is configured correctly on '192.168.178.21' and try again.

And I also get a
[Errno 111] Connection refused

error if I use the locally installed Open Xen Manager.

Open Xen Manager is at rev48 and XenCenter 6.2.

I'm able to connect to the server over SSH and other remote management tools (VNC).

I'm at a loss as to what to try to solve this issue. Any help would be much appreciated.
Responses (11)
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, June 26 2014, 02:57 AM - #permalink
    Ange,

What happens if you try to address the instance via the XAPI "xe" command syntax? Both the tools you mention should be using XAPI to talk to VMs as far as I know.

FWIW, you may find more help on one of the XenServer forums, since XenCenter is a XenServer program. The XenServer folks are more used to debugging it. There may be pointers over at XenServer.org.

Russ
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Offline
    Thursday, June 26 2014, 07:06 AM - #permalink
    Russell, thank you for taking the time to answer.

I'm not to familiar with the xe command syntax for it, new to Xen here. I've only tried a simple one to see if the XAPI was set up correctly as per tutorial instructions: xe vm-list, which gave this output:
    uuid ( RO)           : b4f359ac-2f86-d77e-b703-adf0d6ecdaf0
         name-label ( RW): Control domain on host: Newlaunch1
        power-state ( RO): running

And as I understand it, output similar to this is shows that XAPI was set up correctly.
    Would you mind providing an example of how to execute the particular command you're wanting to see the result of?
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Offline
    Wednesday, July 16 2014, 07:43 AM - #permalink
    I've managed to connect to the Xen server locally, but still getting the same error messages for remote connections. Still need some help with this.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Wednesday, July 16 2014, 01:04 PM - #permalink
    Have a look at the reply in this question:

It appears there is an access issue which needs to be adjusted after installing xcp-xapi. See if it helps for you.

Russ
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Offline
    Thursday, July 17 2014, 08:12 AM - #permalink
    I followed the instructions in the thread you linked to, and I'm still getting the same error messages in both managers.

I've got no firewall configured on the server and it's allowing all connections through all ports.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, July 17 2014, 02:25 PM - #permalink
    I had a quick chat with a XenServer person who suggests the following:

"The only thought I had was perhaps an iptables rule needs to be set to actually allow the socket to be open. HTTPS/443 would be the most likely, and I’m thinking that based on the open xen manager socket message."

These kits were originally developed by the XenServer team as part of the effort to bring XCP (the non-branded form of XenServer) onto Debian-based systems. As such, I am going to suggest that you use one of the XenServer support resources over at XenServer.org. They will know much more about configuring this than we will over here.

Russ
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Offline
    Friday, July 18 2014, 08:31 AM - #permalink
    Alright, thanks. Will they be able to assist even though it's Xen that I'm using, and not XenServer?
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Friday, July 18 2014, 01:28 PM - #permalink
    Ange,

I would certainly expect so. If not, please let me know.

The kits were originally XCP on Debian/Ubuntu, and XCP == XenServer without a Citrix logo. These kits were devised by the XenServer team and they focus on using XenServer software (XenCenter, for example, is XenServer software, not Xen Project). As such, I'd hope they'd be able to provide some answers, even if it is not a branded product.

Focus on the channels outlined for support on XenServer.org. I know the community manager for the XenServer project (which is Open Source under the auspices of Citrix), so I can have a discussion with him around clearer support channels for XCP if needed.

Russ
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Offline
    Friday, July 18 2014, 01:36 PM - #permalink
    Will do. And thanks again.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Offline
    Monday, July 21 2014, 09:48 AM - #permalink
    Figured out what was the problem. An IP conflict. :( Wonderful.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Monday, July 21 2014, 01:24 PM - #permalink
    Ange,

Glad you solved the problem! That's good news.

Russ